EMCOR Services Mesa Energy’s single-source capabilities equipped us to deliver a big-picture solution to this client’s needs. We first performed an energy audit and identified ways to reduce energy consumption and costs. We were then able to recommend and provide equipment and services that helped achieve the client’s energy and financial goals.
We optimized a control strategy and algorithms, enabling an all-variable flow central plant that regulates system components for maximum energy efficiency.
Their new chiller control includes lead/lag staging capability that improves performance and helps increase energy efficiency by continuously adjusting compressors to various environmental and operating conditions as well as the flow through the condenser and chilled water pump variable frequency drives.
Our comprehensive services provide the client with improved facility airflow and air quality, extensive system failure notification, complete integration, and a projected 3-year payback.
The client wanted to improve energy efficiency with solutions that could help achieve a 3-year payback.
Our primary recommendation was to replace two chillers that were due for an overhaul with new, more energy-efficient units that use frictionless central processor-controlled compressors. These were the first chillers of this type to be installed in southern California. After these and other recommendations were accepted, our solutions included:
- Disconnecting, removing, and disposing of the two former chillers with their refrigerants
- Removing existing chiller water piping
- Installing and insulating new piping to accommodate the new chillers’ two-pass configuration
- Demolishing old electrical conduits and wiring, and installing new components
- Installing seismic anchoring plates
- Overseeing all crane lifting, rigging, and permitting activities
- Installing chillers and a control system for the central plant
- Extending conduits from the control panel to various temperature sensors on the chilled water and condenser water piping
- Connecting via building automation control networking to all the pump variable frequency drives and to the new chillers
We also helped improve the facility’s economizer system by enabling it to regulate both room air pressure and outside air intake more efficiently. This process included:
- Putting in new pre-filters
- Installing new racks with 100 percent more surface area
- Attaching variable frequency drives with bypasses to floor exhaust fans, and connecting them to the building control system
- Modifying the system’s software to accommodate this connection
- Testing the system
- Backing up databases
To help achieve compliance and improve safety we provided services including:
- Integrating system failure alarms into the building control system
- Modifying the alarm system database
- Conducting testing
- Installing a new monitoring panel
- Running electrical conduit and wire to interlock the mechanical room’s chillers and pumps, to enable shutting down both devices in the event of an emergency and to bring the refrigerant monitoring system into local code compliance
- Installing horn strobes and break-glass stations with interface panels at the mechanical room’s entrances
- Connecting gas-sensing copper tubing to the alarm panel
We also designed controls to coordinate pumps, chillers, and other devices effectively and provided a new workstation with graphics. Our solution connected the control system to both the new and the backup chillers, and included variable frequency drives with bypasses for the primary chilled and condenser water pumps.
Finally, we unified the parts by connecting the control room modbus link to the existing modbus gateway and integrating the air conditioning valve position database, critical space temperatures on each floor, and the economizer damper positions.
We also interfaced the new control system and its software to the client’s building environmental control and alarm system, and converted the required screens.
This global telecommunications client has provided a wide range of communications products, services, and customer care for more than a century.